There are several skin lesions, which are non-cancerous and very common to be found on the human body. Some of these conditions include moles, skin tags, seborrheic, and keratoses.
Moles are a growth that appears anywhere on the skin, and they are usually brown or black. Most moles used to appear in early childhood, and it is normal to have 10 to 40 moles during adulthood.
Moles change their colour slowly, and sometimes hair will be developed in the mole. Some of them may not change, and they will slowly disappear over time.
Although these growths are harmless, cases may arise where they may require being removed through surgery. Moles can be removed through surgery, laser, and naturally.
Healthy moles will be light brown, round in shape and will remain small. Such growth will have a smooth skin, and they are often seen on face, neck, chest, nose, and arms.
If you find them awkward on your face or another part of the body, you may remove them for cosmetic reasons.
But facial mole is not cancerous, and you can remove them through the natural method.
Cancerous moles will appear in a different colour like pink, red and brown. They will have an irregular shape and border.
Such moles will have a rough texture and will appear larger than normal. Cancer moles appear on breast, buttocks and the head.
Patients may have more than 100 numbers of moles on their body.
Skin moles with irregular colouring and borders are deliberated to be precancerous, and they have a higher chance of whirling into a type of skin cancer.
They have to be regularly monitored for any alterations in the size, colour, and shape.
For cancerous mole, surgery would be the effective method of removal.
Many people remove moles for cosmetic reasons, which are also a good option.
If you find a skin growth that looks suspicious, you should consult a doctor immediately.
A sample of skin tissue will be collected from the mole and examined to find out whether the cells are cancerous.
If a skin growth identified as cancerous, it has to be removed immediately so that cancer doesn’t spread beyond the skin and affect other body parts.
The surgical method of mole removal is done by giving local anaesthesia. The mole is cut out depending on the size and where it is located.
For small flat mole, stitches are not needed after removal, and your doctor may choose a procedure called a punch biopsy to remove the growth.
For larger moles, minor surgery is required to cut out the entire mole. In this surgery, along with the mole, a portion of skin that surrounds the cancer mole will be removed.
Mole Removal Techniques
Most moles remain harmless, and they don’t require any treatment, but in some cases, they need to be removed if it poses a risk for cancer.
Many patients choose to remove the skin growth as a precautionary measure. Moles can be removed by surgery, laser treatment, and natural method of removal.
The surgical method of removing the cancerous growth is performed in three ways: punch biopsy, shave excision, and excision surgery.
Punch biopsy – The technique is used to remove small skin moles by punching out the cylinder piece of skin.
Shave excision – This method is used to remove moles, which are upstretched above the skin. In this procedure, the specialist applies local anaesthesia to the area of the skin that surrounds the growth. He will use a sharp, but a small scalpel to shave the mole’s surface.
Excision surgery – Malignant skin growth is removed through surgery.
Cryosurgery – A dermatologist will perform cryosurgery to remove the mole by freezing the mole using liquid nitrogen to that area.
Cosmetic surgery is performed through laser method, and they are best to remove brown coloured and flat moles.
Complete removal of the growth will require one to three visits to a plastic surgeon. This method isn’t adequate to remove large moles, which obtrude above the skin.
It is another method of mole removal, which includes burning the mole using metal wire and an electric current.
Many people choose natural methods to remove moles from the face and body parts because they are affordable and painless. Natural ingredients will have fewer side effects, and they are different from chemical laden products.
- Apple cider vinegar is a perfect home remedy you can try at home. Dip cotton in the vinegar and place it on the top of the mole and leave it for 5 to 6 hours. The acidity in the vinegar will dry up the mole.
- Make a paste of ½ teaspoon baking soda and 2-3 drops of castor oil and apply the paste on the mole. This help removing moles naturally.
- Crush one garlic clove and make a paste and apply it on the mole. Leave it overnight and do it several times a day.
- Apply a drop of iodine directly on the mole and do this twice a day for a week to get rid of them.
- Dip cotton in lemon juice and place it on the mole and leave it for 20 minutes. Do this twice a day, the mole will become lighter and will fall off later.
Mole Removal Creams & Products
There are many types of mole removal creams available in the market, which are safe to be used.
Mole removal creams are an affordable and natural way to get rid of moles.
They are cost effective and can be applied anywhere on the body, and the success rate of using this cream is higher than any other mole removal technique
Most of the cream and paste contain bloodroot, a herb, which grows in the US and Canada.
It is a natural method of removing the skin growth, and you may use it at home.
You may apply the cream to the mole; then enclose it using a bandage.
Repeat it for three days and the mole will inflame, turning it to pale in colour and will fall off. In this method, scarring is minimal causing minimal trouble.
The Best Cream For Mole Removal of 2017 is:
Other creams include:
How much does mole removal cost?
Many people have doubt how much does it cost to remove a mole. The cost of mole removal procedure is based on size, shape and the location of the mole.
It also depends on the complexity of the procedure. For example, the mole removal cost on the face will be more than removing a small one from your arm.
If the growth is big and takes more time to remove, then it will cost more. The skin on your face is sensitive; therefore, the cosmetic procedure has to be followed to remove the mole.
Mole Removal Cost For Each Technique
- The dermatologist mole removal cost will range from $100 to $500 per mole, and it depends on factors such as shape and size.
To remove larger one, it will cost more. The mole removal cost on the face will remain expensive because they appear on the highly visible area.
Deeper moles will require more cutting and multiple treatments to get removed. If the sample of the mole has to perform a biopsy, then additional fees have to be paid for lab work.
If a plastic surgeon performs the mole removal, the price will go up.
Geographical location also affects the price. A mole removal surgery cost higher in major cities.
- The laser mole removal cost depends on various factors such as the city you live in, the number and size of growth you want to remove. The cost will range from $50 to $80 per treatment. The same procedure may require more than one treatment.
Before you start with the procedure, make sure the doctor evaluates the growth and gives you an assessment how many treatments will be required.
- If electrocoagulation is preferred to remove the mole, then it will cost you a minimum of 130$ and might go up to 360$, to which your mole size plays the centre stage.
- If you are going to use mole removal creams, you should be ready to pay around $15-$80.
One tube will be enough to remove 3 to 5 moles.
Freeze mole removal is rated the costliest amongst all other treatments, followed by laser mole removal which is 2nd and Surgical mole removal is less expensive than the other two options.
How much does it cost to have a mole removed with insurance?
Most insurance companies will not cover mole, which has to be removed for a cosmetic reason. Patients will be required to pay full cosmetic surgery mole removal cost.
If the physician suspects the mole is malignant and need to be biopsied, such mole removal expenses will be covered by health insurance.
The cost covered by an insurance company will vary for different plans. Some insurance company will cover the procedure completely while for others; we may require paying some amount.
However, there are insurance companies who are ready to cover some of the cost if the mole is causing discomfort to the patient.
Every insurance company has their criteria whether insurance should cover the mole removal or not.
The process will be initially determined through pre-determination. Many surgeons don’t take insurance for mole removal due to low reimbursement for doing it.
Even if any surgeon does, they will not remove more than 2 moles at a time because insurance stops paying them more than 2 moles at a single treatment session.
How much does it cost to get a mole removed without insurance?
Moles are less dangerous, but people often opt to remove them for aesthetic purpose. People find them disfiguring when they appear on the face.
So people want to remove them for a cosmetic reason. Now mole removal has become cheaper and more accessible. To calculate the cost, you must find out what kind of mole removal you need, cosmetic or medical.
- Cosmetic –The mole removal cost for cosmetic reason depends on factors like the complexity of the mole and how difficult it is to remove. A typical mole removal cost without insurance will range up to $130 for the first mole and $65 for the rest.
- Medical – if you have to remove a mole due to medical issues, the insurance will cover it. The cost of the process will vary based on your plan. The cost also depends whether you have met with the deductible. If you haven’t met with the deductible, it will count the procedure that goes on.
Several other factors will also push the price up and down. They include the location, reason, and type of procedure.
Another cost will also be included such as doctor fees, initial checkups, and follow-up test.
If you are not ready to pay out of your pocket, you can try removing the mole at home.
You may apply the best cream for mole removal regularly for weeks or a month, and it will gradually lighten the affected area. The cream works only for small moles.
Some doctors advise to remove moles at home but remember facial skin are more sensitive and wrong method can cause an adverse reaction.
Mole Removal Cost on Different Parts of Body
In some cases, moles can be developed on armpit, buttock, eyelids and neck region. Most people prefer to get the mole removed from their face or another part of the body by a qualified doctor.
To treat a mole under armpit will be less expensive than treating one on the face. This is mainly because you may want to get aftercare services, to take the best care for the scarring.
The cost to remove a mole on face remains expensive because cosmetic surgery has to be performed.
The cost mainly depends on the mole location, size, and technique. The surgeon will decide whether the mole requires sutures or shaving off is apt.
- The facial mole removal cost will range $150 to $350. You are at gain if you have multiple moles to be removed, as doctors usually offer a good price for multiple mole removals, or else you will have to pay as per demand.
Moles from the face are best to be removed by shave removal where the mole will be removed by shaving it flat with the skin. It leaves a minimal scar after the removal.
- If you are planning to remove a mole from another part of your body, you should be ready to spend around $ 471 for the whole procedure.
If there is more than one mole, the price will become higher. Not all type of moles is removed through shaving process.
Some moles are not flat, and these moles have to be removed through ellipse excision.
- Ellipse excision is expensive when compared to another type of operation. The flat mole removal cost will range from $500 to $1000.
- The nose mole removal cost will vary from $175 to $350. To shave the mole flat from your nose, it is less expensive, but if you want to punch grafts it, the cost will rise.
There are both benefits and risk of removing moles from your body. Many of the risks will be associated with anaesthesia.
If a mole is removed from any part of your body, this may result in scarring or infection.
The skin in that area will change to pigmentation after healing. Removal of the mole will put individuals mind at ease.
But if the mole is malignant, it has to be removed to prevent cancer from spreading to other areas of skin.